Friday, February 29, 2008

More Wire Jewelry

I was messing around with a piece of copper electrical wire. I'm not sure what gauge, but it would have to be like 8 or 10. I created this pendant and decided to do a braided, fabric necklace for it. Then I decided that I needed earrings and a bracelet to complete the set.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Bees Wax ATCs

The new Atcsforall site has opened (after ATCards.com suddenly closed). I joined the Mind Your Beeswax swap. This is the first time I've done anything with beeswax (or any wax for that matter other than gell candles). I think they turned out pretty cool. I actually really like this medium...encaustic art...here I come!




Sunday, February 17, 2008

Paper Towel Technique

I finally had time to try the paper towel technique from the Artist Trading Card Workshop book. This is part of Michelle's technique challenge on Crafted By Us. Here is the ATC I created using the paper towel background:


Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Wire & Beaded Jewelry

I've been making some wired jewelry over the last coupled days. I had posted one of the sets I made earlier. Here are some pounded wire items I created.

This one is called Heiroglyphics and is just basically a bunch of turned wired that has been pounded flat to hold the shape. Since I didn't have a ready made copper chain, I had to make that too.




This one is called the Aztec Tree of Life. I made it with amethyst and a pink quartz.




Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ancestor Collection & Podcast Challenge

A couple months ago, I made two pins. One had a picture of my mother as a girl and the other had a picture of my grandfather, Pappy, with his dog, Hurky. I never wear them because I don't have matching earrings or a necklace...so I made some. The necklace is a picture of my great grandmother, Pappy's mother.
Today, I did my first soldered charm. I learned the techniques from the Crafted by Us podcast. I need much more practice with the solder...for instance, I didn't know you could keep putting flux on to help with the flow of the melted solder, so my charm ended up a little more rough that I planned. I think I'm just going to put a patina on it and pretend I wanted that 'rustic' look. This is the front and back.


Then I did the Watercolor Baby Wipe challenge from Crafted by Us. I used a wet Windex wipe instead of a baby wipe. This is what my Windex wipe looked like after I applied my watercolor paint.
Here is the ATC I created with it. This was a pretty cool technique.