Sunday, September 14, 2008

New Printer

My Epson 2400 started giving me problems and finally just stopped turning on. AGH! After driving my DH crazy by printing to his printer, I finally went out and got a new one. I wanted one mostly for printing photos, so I wasn't looking at any multifunction models...until the tech guy at Staples found me. I ended up getting the HP Photosmart C8180 3-in-1 printer, scanner, copier. It's Wi-Fi capable (translation: no cables), Bluetooth compatible (translation: I can print all the on-the-fly photos I take with my Blackberry and does a great job with photo printing. It does us individual color ink cartridges like the Epson, but they are $4-$10 cheaper than Epson inks. So far, other than a Scan To Computer issue (which is the same issue I have on my work HP Laserjet All-in-One), I'm pretty happy...gonna call HP about the problem tomorrow.

Anyway, it also has the guide for negatives and slides. I took some old slide my DH had of his grandfather and scanned them in. I did one scan straight to printer (no corrections) and this is what I got (and what the slide actually looks like):


I then scanned from the HP scanning software, which allows you to do some color correction, cropping, etc. and this is what scanned to my computer:
Pretty good!! Now the spots, 'dust' and 'scratches' are all from the old slide, but I think it did a great job of restoring the photo from the greened, aged original. BTW, the car is a 1960 Buick LaSabre and the gentleman is my husband's grandfather, Robert W. Howard.
During all the excitement over the printer, I did manage to do something mildly creative. I bought some jars of colored stucco on sale at Michaels. It was $1 a container, so I said, "What the heck". This is a picture that I did really quickly just to try the stuff out. It cracked some because I just did it on plain paper (normally I would have used a hard canvas...or a wall).

No comments: