Monday, October 20, 2008
I created this card following a tutorial by Michelle Zindorf. She makes some awesome cards, so I had to try one. I finally found the stamp set she used and went to work. I followed her tutorial fairly closely, however, I used Stampin' Up Tempting Turquoise ink instead of Baha Breeze and I used the Winter Woods stamp by Rubber Stampede in place of the Lovely as a Tree set. I also changed up the embellishments by just using a plain strip of polka-dotted ribbon with sequins. I placed sequins at the corners of the stamped area and in place of the owls eyes...the picture doesn't show the sequins very well. Also, I added the owl because I accidently put a smudge on the moon and needed to find some way to hide it. :-)
Sunday, October 19, 2008
I completed the necklace and earring set using my shaman pendants I made out of metal clay. All the findings are sterling silver and the black stones are soapstone.
I've also attached some photos taken on a hike through Roxborough State Park near Denver with some friends, Jill and Kay. We spent the morning hiking and shooting photos and then toured the Celestial Seasonings factory in Boulder in the afternoon.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
I've been looking at metal clay for awhile now...so, I told my DH that I wanted the starter set from Fire Mountain Gems for my birthday. Now, I've worked with polymer for some time, but it doesn't dry up on you and it doesn't cost over $30 for 20 grams...so I spent a week panicking about what I was going to make. I did some test runs with some ideas in polymer, gathered all my materials and finally made a dragonfly charm (alot of worry for a simple charm, I know). My next item is the shaman pendant. I just fired that this morning and I plan to make a matching set of earrings. Now, it's off to the bead store to by silver findings...I mean, why would I put a pure silver charm on any old wire?? :-)
Monday, October 13, 2008
I finally took the time to finish my potion bottles. I used a couple beer bottles, a Polaner Jelly jar and a pickle jar. I first dabbed on the color with a 1" standard paint brush using acrylic paint. This took two coats. After that dried, I sponged on the accent color, again acrylic paints. I let that dry and sprayed the bottles with clear, matte finish. I created the labels on Photoshop, printed, glued them to the bottles and coated them with a layer of matte Mod Podge. For the jar lids, I did the same paint treatment as the jars. For the bottles, I bought a couple corks for the beer bottles and stained them with walnut ink. The picture is not the greatest...I just couldn't get the lighting right and the background, well...