Sunday, November 9, 2008

Time for A Few Things

I've been on the road a lot lately between work and a Air Force retirement ceremony. I did take some time to try out my new Prismacolor colored pencils. You can really tell the difference between a good set and cheap pencils. In the past, I've only used them to color in stamped images, etc. This is the first time I've actually done a picture with them. I don't draw very well, but I liked the way this turned out. I started the picture while curled up in my LazyBoy...so, it ended up a little tilted. :-)

I also tried a painted leaf technique with metal clay paste. Basically, you take a leaf with good vein texture. Paint a layer of metal clay paste on and let it dry. Do this 10 times!! Make a small bail using metal clay. I used the metal clay in a syringe to make a small loop with a little tail on it to be used to attached to the leaf. After the bail dried, I attached it to the leaf with metal clay paste and let the whole thing dry to bone dry. I sanded the edges of the leaf down and fired it. I used a couple rose leaves. They are a little 'waxy', so the leaf pealed off the clay before firing. If your leaf won't peal loose before firing, make sure you have plenty of ventalation, because the leaf will burn away during the firing process. Small items like these can be fired with a kitchen butane torch. Once I had polished up the leaves, I attached them together using silver jump rings and a tiny piece of silver chain (hidden behind the top leaf). I bought the silver chain on which they are hanging from Hobbie Lobbie.


No comments: