Tuesday, March 24, 2009

American Heritage

This is a Native American collage that I created for my mom.  The collage is on a 5x7 hard canvas that has been inked with Faded Jeans Distress ink.  The images were printed in B&W on an inkjet printer then I soaked them with water and blotted until I got the faded look I wanted.  I tore the  image and inked the edges with Faded Jeans Distress ink and glued them to the canvas.  I stamped the petroglyph images with stamps by Judith Dupre (I love these stamps).  Some were stamped in Faded Jeans Distress ink and the others were embossed with Vintage Photo Distress embossing powder.  I molded the arrow head from stucco and inked it with Vintage Photo Distress ink.  The peace stick is a twig from our grape vines wrapped in tan embroidery floss with 3 feathers attached to the end.  The frame is covered in leather scraps that I bought at a shop in Walsenburg, CO.  I bought a $3 unfinished wooden 5x7 frame at Michaels and attached the pieces of leather with leather glue starting with the corners.  This was my first attempt at working with leather and it was pretty fun.  I just used what I had, but it would have been nice to have incorporated some blue into the frame...oh well...mom will like it anyway.  :-)

  

No comments: