Friday, April 17, 2009

Altered Puzzle Piece

This is my first stab at an altered puzzle peice.  I'm going to turn this piece into a pin/brooch.  I used a piece from a child's 100-piece puzzle set.  I covered it in gesso and painted it with Tarnished Brass Distress Crackle paint.  After the paint dried, I rubbed the piece with Tea Dye Distress Ink to highlight the cracks.  I attached my Artchix images, transparency and paper with glossy ModPodge.  Once dry, I covered the whole piece with a thin coat of ModPodge.  I drilled small holes in the bottom with my Dremel for the string of pink beads and then glued white beads to the piece with E6000.

This was my first time using Distress Crackle paint and I did learn that the thicker the better with this stuff.  If you put on a regular paint layer, it won't really crack that much.  I ended up using the brush to dab instead of stroke.  It self-leveled and had a really cool pattern...so definately dab!

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow wow wow wow this is fantastic.
Gorgeous piece.

Kelly said...

beautiful puzzle piece!

thefrugalcrafter said...

Oh, I love this! so pretty!

Priscilla said...

I love this...it is so pretty :)

Melony Bradley said...

I love your brooch and hope that you do not mind me featuring it in my post about all the cool things to do with recycled puzzle pieces. It is gorgeous!

http://mel-designs.typepad.com/my-blog/2010/12/things-to-do-with-recycled-puzzle-pieces.html