Sunday, April 5, 2009

Photo 52 - Week of 30 Mar 09 and the Tintype Technique

This week we had a surprise birthday party for my friend, Jill...totally surprised her, which is not easy to do.



I made her a birthday card using a tintype technique that I found in the book, "Vintage Greeting Cards" by Mary Jo McGraw.  I found a picture I liked of Jill, converted it to black and white and printed it on a color laser printer (ink jet won't work so well for this).  Mix Omnigell with some silver pigment powder and brush onto the photo horizontally...let dry.  Then brush vertically...let dry.  Brush diagonally...let dry.  Cut the photo to size and soak in water.  Gently rub off the paper...there you have it.  I added a coat of gloss Mod-Podge because I wanted a shiny surface, but it's not necessary.  The frame is craft metal that I ran thru the Cuttlebug with the Textile folder.  I cut the center out in an X and folded the sections back.  I painted it with gold Paint Dabbers.  I cut a tag out of craft metal and stamped in Happy Birthday and some edge detail then colored it with alcohol inks (I forgot which now...sorry) then attached it with a gold brad. The lace is vintage that I dyed with walnut ink, ran a stitch across the bottom edge and pulled it up to make the little 'fan'.  The faux game piece is made from copper polymer clay with a coat of gold acrylic paint to bring out the 'J'. The small flowers are made from gold UTEE that was pour into a polymer mold I made of a button.  The background of the card was colored with Distress Inks in Vintage Photo, Tea Dye and Worn Lipstick.

No comments: