Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Card in the New Studio

I've been spending my time getting my new studio space in order. This is the first project I created there (aside from working on my brother's photo album). It's a card using the Michael Strong Cloisonne Gecko stamp for the monthly contest at enjoyMichaelStrongstamps Yahoo group and a Hip To Be Square card format from Ink Stains. I love the way the card opens. This card is 6x6, but you can make it any size using the tutorial from Ink Stains. Really cool design.
Check out the neat fused glass pendant my mom created. This was her first try, of course, and it looks better than anything I've done since I got the kit! I love how the dichroyic glass looks like a butterfly wing.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fused Glass and Studio Update

I just got a kit from Hobby Lobby to do fused glass in your microwave. These are the first pieces I created while experimenting with the time needed. The white pieces are the first and I think they were 'kilned' too long for my taste. The black piece came out just like I wanted, so I'm going to turn it into a necklace and make some smaller pieces for earrings.


I wanted to post a picture of my studio in progress. I installed three cabinets under my embellishment shelves. I moved the majority of my stuff in (most of it is stored in a large cabinet that you can't see in this view) and I can actually work in there now. I've been 'embellishing' a photo album for my brother of the trip he made here for Mother's Day. I don't really do true scrapbooking, so a bought a 1-up photo album and I'm stamping the journaling area to give it a little kick.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Father's Day Card & Sketch Entry

I created this Father's Day card for my step-father, Al. I used a sketch from Ink Stains for inspiration. I also used her Parched Pigment technique for the background. I planned to use her Joseph's Coat technique for the sentiment, but the script was too small to look good. It's hard to tell in the scan, but the brads are copper and the card base is cream...I actually hate this scan...



Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Dentist is a Clown!

I just have to show you what my DH got his dentist to write up for him.


The white cabinets are some we purchased for my new studio...BTW, they still aren't built!!!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Feel Better Card

My DH is having a double root canal done as I type!!! I made him this little card to hope he feels better soon. It's a 4x4 card using paper from the DCWV Latte stack and my Cuttlebug. I sanded the embossed images and the edges of both the inserts and the main card.

Monday, June 15, 2009

My New Studio!!!

After 2 years as a glorified storage space, my studio is finally coming together!! We finished the flooring last night and moved in the first pieces of furniture. I still need the majority of the counter/cabinet space put in, but this is a start!!

Friday, June 12, 2009

Father's Day Card

I just finished the Father's Day card for my dad. He does alot of wood-working, so the tool stamps from Stampin' Up were perfect. I used the Joseph's Coat technique I learned on Ink Stains to created the look. The background was the one I created using the shaving cream technique at our Craft Party. I also used a little piece of the shaving cream background for the sentiment stamp, which was part of the Happy Anything set from Inkadinkado. I added a couple black brads, inked the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and rounded the corners to finish it off. I then cut down a piece of wood patterned paper from the Green Stack by DCWV to 1/4" less than the measurements of my card base. That allows for a 1/8" border all around. I mounted my stamped peice to it and added black ribbon.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Craft Party - June 09

Jill hosted this month's craft party for our little group. She decided to do various printing techniques, which included linoleum, gel and shaving cream. Jill made lino blocks by adhering regular floor linoleum to wooden blocks. We all picked a design, transfered it onto the block using pencil or chalk and carved out the design. Once carved, we brayered acrylic paint onto the block and stamped. For the gel printing, Jill created flats of regular gelatin (made much thicker than normal) and we painted our design our colors onto the gel and laid the paper on top to transfer. I had the most fun with the shaving cream. Basically, fill a container with shaving cream and put your inks or paints on top. Lay the paper onto the ink/paint and smush it down into the shaving cream. Once you wipe of the shaving cream, you have a really cool design on the paper.
My lino print Celtic knot.

These are the results of my gelatin printing using watercolors. The top sample was much wetter than the bottom...and I added a little detail in the trees. :-)
These are the results of the shaving cream printing. The tan area in the bottom sample was sanded paper (i.e. paper with a rough surface). The inks didn't like that surface as well as an untreated surface.
Bev working with the gelatin printing.
Jill wiping off the shaving cream.
Me carving my linoleum block...yes, I did cut my thumb!

Friday, June 5, 2009

Another Graduation Card

I'm finally back from business travel and had to make a quick card for my niece's graduation tomorrow. I did it pretty much the same as the one in a previous post...only used her school colors.