Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Mosaic

This is my first attempt at mosaic art.  I chose to do a mosaic on a simple, small side table that I use in my studio.  I bought the glass in small squares and cut as needed with a glass cutter and pliers.  I bought a mosaic kit that has the glue and grout, etc.  First, I set out the pieces in the pattern I wanted (which took a couple “come back to its” to get done).  I glued the pieces down and allowed them to set overnight (minimum of 6 hours is suggested).  I mixed the grout a little at a time (just add water to the powder in a small bowl) and applied the grout with a plastic trowel that was in the kit, making sure to get it in all the little spaces.  I let the grout sit for 15 minutes (give or take), then used the provided sponge to wipe off the excess grout.  I let that sit for a couple hours and cleaned it again with the sponge and paper towels.

Crafts-001

Crafts-002

Monday, September 28, 2009

Studio Magazine Open Tour


Studio Magazine is sponsoring an Open Studios event which will allow people to post photos/video of their studios for all to see. For more details, take a look at Studios Editors Blog.


To see my studio, please go here.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

September Craft Party

We had our craft party for September today.

Crafts-026

Since a couple of the group could not attend, we decided to do some paper crafts. We started off making bookmarks using different techniques and themes.

Crafts-022

After we made a couple (I mean, really, how many books can you read at a time), we made a double pocket card using a tutorial by Beate Johns.

Crafts-027

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Another Bookmark and Simple Dragonfly Earrings

I have a co-worker who likes my bookmarks, so I decided to make him one. I used all Tim Holtz/Ranger products to create a ‘manly’ bookmark. I first stamped the saying in black and embossed the entire thing with clear embossing powder. I painted on a rough coat of Fired Brick Distress Crackle Paint and once dry, I stamped the birds in black Archival ink. I then distressed the edges and inked the entire tag with Black Soot Distress Ink and wiped over the entire tag with a damp paper towel…this removed the ink from the embossed and painted areas. The skull is Grungeboard that is painted with Picket Fence Distress Crackle paint and once dry I rubbed in Black Soot Distress Ink to bring out the cracks. I glued it onto the tag and added Fired Brick Distress Stickles to the eye sockets. I also put the stickles around the entire edge of the tag. I took a small Fragment tag and inked one side with Cranberry and Raisin alcohol inks and stamped the bird on the other side in black Archival ink. I attached the tag with a black brad and added black and burgundy ribbon to finish.

Bookmark4

For our anniversary, my husband bought me a beautiful necklace with a fused glass pendant with small dragonflies in it. It hangs on a silver chain. I plan to wear this for a meeting this week and needed some earrings to match. They needed to be a simple design to go with the necklace.

DragonflyEarrings

Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Little Crafting Time

I finally had a little time this evening in my studio, so I whipped up a quick bookmark. I clear embossed the small dragonflies onto the blank tag, added some color to the wings and clear embossed that. Then I took Peeled Paint and Dusty Concord Distress Inks and inked up the background. I stamped a dragonfly onto Grungeboard in black Archival ink, colored with ink pens, cut it out, inked the sides and added a layer of Milled Lavender Distress Stickles. I cut a rectangle of Grungeboard, rounded the corners with a punch and painted it with Peeled Paint Distress Crackle paint. Once air dried, I stamped the saying in black Archival ink and added some Frosted Lace Stickles to the Grungeboard piece and the edges of the tag. Finally, I added the ribbon and fibers to complete it.

img001

Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Successful Glass Bead

I was finally able to fire a glass bead that would actually come off the mandrel!!  I’ve wasted several rods of glass trying to create beads only to have to break them off the mandrels.  The release agent is so sensitive that you really have to go slow and be patient when wrapping the glass.  I used a waffle patterned marver to create the little bumps on the bead.

Glassbead-002

This is a photo while it was still cooling on the mandrel, but it came off just fine.  I’ll post what I make with it later.  I’m so surprised that it worked that I haven’t thought that far ahead.  :-)

Monday, September 7, 2009

Latest Batch of Polymer Beads

This is my latest batch of Casablanca beads.  I did one in reds and the other in browns.  I made the mistake of trying to back my brown beads in the bottom ‘toaster’ over while cooking dinner in the main oven.  Not a good idea…apparently, that will mess with the temp in the small bottom oven and roast the beads.  I was only able to save a few.

CasablancaBead4

CasablancaBead5