Friday, October 2, 2009

My Studio

My studio is a new addition to our house that was just completed this June.  I LOVE this space!!  It’s on the far end of the house, so I’m isolated with no ‘house noises’ to distract me.  I use my studio for all types of crafts and photography.   

StudioOct3

The Embellishment Center is where I keep all my paper crafting goodies.  The shelves hold paint, ribbons, inks and odd-n-ends I might use.  On the counter I have my Cuttlebug, Dremel tool, Beeswax pot and a bin with glues and embossing powders.  The work center is a kitchen cart that I purchased at Lowes.  It’s great because I can roll it out of the way or where ever I need it.  I also store supplies that I use often in the cart.  The stamp storage cabinet was originally built for a local artist to hold her paper.  It’s perfect for laying out all my stamps.  On the top I store my Xyron, heat gun and a container or Michael Strong stamps.  The easel holds by watercolor material.  In the photography area, I shoot pictures of people or the items I make (it’s set up for photographing jewelry right now).  The back drop is a simple curtain rod with a black sheet (way cheaper than commercial backdrops).  I have sheets of other colors if I choose to change it.

StudioOct4

Looking from the photography area out, I have a media area that has my laptop, printer, and surround sound system.  The tables are temporary until counters are built.  The work surface also holds my Cricut…so it’s near the laptop for use.  The clay and glass station does roll, although I rarely move it.  I do metal and polymer clay here, as well as glass fusing and making glass beads.  I have paper punches on the back of  the door…because that’s were it fit.  I have an old recliner (it was my grandfather-in-law’s) that just fits the little alcove perfectly.  I store my books on a built-in shelf above the recliner.  Just out of site in that area is the door to the garage.

StudioOct5

This is a view from the recliner area.  In the photography area, I have a large storage cabinet.  The white of the cabinet acts as a great reflector for my photos, and I have an additional black sheet that I can use to cover it if I don’t what the light reflected.

I still need to build the shelf in the Media Area to move the printer and surround sound up off the counter area.   The trim around the window and doors still needs to be finished and a permanent counter needs built, but otherwise, it’s a great space that I truly enjoy.

24 comments:

di from di-did-it said...

Wow ~ I'd love to have this space too! It's laid out very well, with specific work areas for each task... love that! It's definitely needed for your diverse range of talents. Thanks for sharing your space with us.

virtuallori said...

So well organized! I love the dark floors and the clean white everything else, and that you've organized your embellishments so you can easily see what you have. Great space!

Cre8Tiva said...

i so loved the tour of your creative space...so clean and sophisticated...please come see mine when you have a chance...i am having a giveaway...hugs, rebecca

Kim D. said...

Beautiful Space.. Thanks for sharing it.

Wendy said...

Oh, how lovely and spacious! What a nice place to work!

SewnGracefully said...

What a great space. Love the open-nist and the brightnest.

Martys Fiber Musings said...

Wow......Wow.........and another WOW. What a wonderful space. I would need a bed in there....'cause I would never leave this studio.

Helen Conway said...

Thanks for inviting me in. I envy all the walking around space! I am particpating too at www.downthewell.blogspot.com if you want to come over.

Barbara Hagerty said...

What a gorgeous space! I love love love your photography space and equipment! Thanks for sharing!!

Heckety said...

Oh my goodness I can see why you love your space so much, its lovely! And tidy!

Robinsunne said...

I love that you have a recliner in your studio. Where else to peruse back issues in comfort. Someday for me too.

Marcy Horswill said...

A beautiful creative place to live! Thanks for sharing.

Quilt Pixie said...

what a great open floor space -- looks like you have everything "at hand" whatever the task without tracking all over for it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great space! You obviously have many different interests and have each in their own areas...wonderful! Thanks for the peek.
Cheers
Mary Anne

LLAbbott said...

What a great space! I'm jealous of the photography space. Thank you so much, for sharing your Studios! many blessings

Anke Martin said...

What an awesome Studio!!!!! I bet you enjoy the silence it there...I could use that sometimes too, but with 3 kids it's rare..
Thanks for sharing your wonderful spot! Enjoy being there, smiles, Anke ;)

paperkitty said...

Wow! You have such a wonderful space!

Judi B said...

I love that you have an "embellishment center." I know organizing in centers is a good plan, and I do it in my kitchen -- just haven't thought of that specifically in my studio since I love so many forms of art. I appreciate the inspiration and thanks for sharing. Stop by my virtual studio on the tour if you have time.

Gina said...

What a wonderful studio; thanks for showing it to us! I'm enjoying your other posts as well. (and I just learned what letterboxing is - had to look it up)!

Melly Testa said...

I am impressed. Yum.

Alanna said...

First off, a great hats off for cleaning your studio before Saturday (I shared mine in its particularly untidy state). Congrats on creating such an organized space to create.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Wow! I'm in awe of your studio. You even have a permanent photography area! Amazing and gorgeous.

Honore said...

What a great space. Would be that I'd were so lucky!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

One of the most beautiful studios I've seen; especially love the floor!