I’ve finished another two months of my altered CD calendar. I got the idea from Inkstains, who has shown a different technique for each of her months…check it out!
I used Adirondack alcohol inks on glossy cardstock (not photo paper…it won’t work on that) to create a plaid red, white (really silver) and blue pattern. To do this, I marked out the area I needed to cover by using the CD as a template. I added the inks in thirds on the applicator felt and pulled it along the paper in one direction and then the other. Tim Holtz has a great tutorial for this technique here. I then used images that I downloaded from GoMakeSomething a couple years ago, and some 3D stickers that came from a card sent to me by my sister-in-law, so I don’t know who makes them…and I didn’t want her to know I tore up her card…well, repurposed it really… I drew the ants and used a glue pen and glitter to create the fireworks. The calendar is mounted on scrap piece of red gingham paper (maker unknown) and attached with photo corners.
I used Glimmer Mist in Coffee Shop, Moonlight and Meadow Green and masks that I tore out of scrap paper to create the mountain background. The image is from a new Inkadinkado collection called Great Outdoors…love it! I used Pine Needles, Vintage Photo, Broken China and Worn Lipstick Distress Ink to ink up the stamp by pressing the appropriate section to the color ink I wanted. It was easier than is sounds since you can see thru the stamp to line it up as needed. I mounted the calendar on a coordinating mulberry paper then stamped and colored the leaves with Shabby Shutters Distress Ink.
Monday, January 25, 2010
Sunday, January 24, 2010
For our January craft party, we made and traded Artist Trading Cards (ATC). We wrote different themes on scraps of paper and each person drew a theme and made a card. Then drew another and made a card with that theme. At the end we placed all the themes each person had done into the bowl and the others drew and received the card made by that person in that theme.
Friday, January 22, 2010
I finished May and June.
I used some wrapping paper from a Christmas gift I received for the background of May (I covered the snowflakes…not sure why there are butterflies in a winter scene though :-) ). The calendar is matted in a yellow that coordinates with the butterfly on the paper and attached with photo corners (I’ve decided I really like these things). I colored the yellow flower with Candle Light Glimmer Mist and attached all the flowers with E6000 then used Distress Stickles in the centers of the larger flowers. Finally, I printed the text and colored with Scattered Straw Distress Ink.
I colored the background with Frozen Lake Glimmer Mist and applied Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powders as the ‘sand’ of the beach. The calendar is mounted on glittery paper from the Fun in the Sun Summer Glitter Matstack by DCWV, and I used flowers and stamped images to ‘hold’ the corners. The images are stamped from the Hero Arts Fun in the Sun stamp set and colored with Prismacolor watercolor pencils. The text is from the same stamp set and was embossed in gold.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Here are March and April of my altered CD calendar. I used a green paint dabber and Glimmer Mist for the background of March. I also used Glimmer Mist on a white flower to turn it green. April is done with stamped images that were colored with watercolor pencils. I used the Cricut to cut both backgrounds. The text was printed on plain paper and colored with Distress Ink.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
This is a card I made for our friend, Terry. It’s made by stamping the mountain lion image on white cardstock then hand color with Prismacolor colored pencils. That is mounted onto black cardstock and then onto brown cardstock.
This is a mini book that I made in a Glimmer Mist class at Archiver’s. The class included the plain mini book, 3 Glimmer Mist colors and embellishments to complete the book. All I needed to do once home was add the photos. We had a great time!
Friday, January 8, 2010
While taking an Archiver’s Stamping Basics class, we were shown this little gadget to help center your acrylic stamps. Basically, an acrylic sheet on small, sponge feet. So…I made one. I used:
Piece of acrylic that I purchased at Lowes some time ago (@$6, I think)
Sponge that came with a bath gift set
I cut the sponge into roughly 1.5” pieces and glued them to the corners of the piece of acrylic. Let dry. The I used the ruler to measure out a 1” grid and drew it on with a permanent marker…voila!
Thursday, January 7, 2010
One of my resolutions was to focus more on photography, so I decided to try the Photo 365 challenge. Basically, you take a photo everyday that sort of sums up that day for you. For this, I’ve created a photo blog on photoblog.com. I’m sure I’ll end up adding other categories, but for now it’s my spot for my Photo 365 photos.
I’ve been following Roni’s CD calendar on Inkstains and have started my own. I’ve completed January and February so far.
I used my Cricut to cut the paper for the main background using the Accent Essential cart set on 4 3/4'”. The background paper for January is from DCWV The Old World Stack. The image is from ArtChix. I colored the B/W image with a light blue marker. The flower embellishment is from Prima in their Nursery Tails collection. I also used acrylic snowflakes (vendor unknown), Baby Blue and Frosted Lace Stickles and a little Silver Fox Smooch. The calendar is matted on plain blue cardstock (as is the image) and attached with photo corners from Scrapbook Adhesives.
The background paper for February is a hearty paper (vendor unknown). The images and text are some that I downloaded several years ago from GoMakeSomething. The glittery hearts are actually irons by Timberline Design. Everything was matted and adhered just like January.